If you forgot or lost your password for Windows 10, you may be able to change or reset it. To get started, choose your version of Windows from the Select Product Version drop-down menu.
If you already know your current password and want to change it
Select Start > Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options . Under Password, select the Change button and follow the steps.
Reset your Windows 10 local account password
If you’ve forgotten or lost your Windows 10 password for a local account and need to sign back into your device, the below options might help you get up and running. For more info on local standard vs. administrative accounts, see Create a local user or administrator account in Windows 10.
Windows 10 version 1803 and later
If you added security questions when you set up your local account for Windows 10, then you have at least version 1803 and you can answer security questions to sign back in.
After you've entered an incorrect password:
- Select the Reset password link on the sign-in screen. If you use a PIN instead, see PIN sign-in issues. If you're using a work device that's on a network, you may not see an option to reset your password or PIN. In that case, contact your administrator.
- Answer your security questions.
- Enter a new password.
- Sign in as usual with the new password.
Windows 10 before version 1803
For versions of Windows 10 earlier than 1803, local account passwords can't be reset because there are no security questions. You can reset your device to choose a new password, however this option will permanently delete your data, programs, and settings. If you've backed up your files you'll be able to restore your deleted files. For more information, see Recovery options in Windows 10.
To reset your device, which will delete data, programs, and settings:
- Press the Shift key while you select the Power button > Restart in the lower-right corner of the screen.
- On the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Reset this PC.
- Select Remove everything.
Resetting your device will permanently delete data, programs, and settings.
Reset your Microsoft account password you use to sign in to your computer
On the sign-in screen, type your Microsoft account name if it's not already displayed. If there are multiple accounts on the computer, choose the one you want to reset. Below the password text box, select I forgot my password. Follow the steps to reset your password.